Saturday 17 May 2014

24 - Live Another Day

For those clicking on this headline looking for Jack Bauer from the acclaimed television series 24, my apologies.

As the saying goes, "times flies when you're having fun". In just 24 hours from now I, along with the other Team Myles 2014 members and thousands of others, will be about to cross (or have crossed) the starting line of the 2014 Scotiabank Blue Nose Marathon 10K race.

Team Myles plans to start as a group at the very back of the second wave of GoodLife FITNESS 10K runners. As we approach the starting line mats, just before our bib timing chip activates, I am envisioning a few last minute back slaps, high fives and a whole bunch of nervous energy in the pit of our stomachs.

We've worked as a team to come this far. From those who had difficulty handling one minute run/walk intervals to now running 10K without stopping, the transformation has been incredible to watch. Some of the Team Myles members will run the Johnson 5K this afternoon. I wish them all great success.

Devin Sherrington, Team Myles coach and trainer of 360fit, along with the other mentors, will be with us running the 10K course.

The personal goals have been set. The game plan run through dozens of time in our heads. The one difference is that this one is for all the marbles and we'll be surrounded by thousands of others.

How will that affect the mind game that running can play? Will it make us slower, or faster? Will the adrenaline affect our normal breathing patterns and heart rates? Still a lot of unknowns.

The only way to know is to experience it and that's what will happen in a few short hours.

The morning routine will remain the same as it's been for a few weeks. "Our stomachs don't like change" has been the warning. My personal mentor Jeff Nearing will pick me up at 7:15 am tomorrow. Between my 5 am rise, through breakfast and stretching, I will have run the 10K numerous times in my mind. You'd think it was a gold medal run in the Olympics. I guess it is. For non-runners, the first time is golden.

If you want to track my results go to www.TheChronicleHerald.ca/BlueNose and click on the GoodLife FITNESS 10K button. My bib number is 9716. You can search it from there or use the Watch List.

Good luck my friends. See you at the finish line (in less than 55 minutes, I still hope - reference details here).

I can proudly say we have all achieved much and it is the efforts of more healthy lifestyle that each and every one of us will have our own 24 episode, and live another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment