Thursday 30 January 2014

And I thought I was running

A little delayed in getting this week's post completed.

I had a great visit from my Dad over the weekend. We attended a couple of Halifax Mooseheads hockey games (two wins), completed a sightseeing trip to Peggy's Cove on a bitterly cold (but stunningly beautiful) day, did some shopping in Halifax, Dartmouth and Bedford, and hosted other family members for dinner on Sunday evening. (My beautiful wife did an amazing job as head chef. Thanks Charlene.) It all led to a decently busy schedule.

Through it I managed to get in a few runs ... or did I?

I've been spending a lot of time reading about running and came across a number of articles on the running vs. jogging debate. There are varying definitions, but the consensus is that until you cross the 6 mph (9.7 km/h) mark you are technically jogging. Others rank it at a level of 9 mph or 14.4 km/h! This Houston Chronicle article seems to be one of the best sourced.

I have run a few kilometres at the 10 km/h pace and it's really pushing it at this point. Contemplating holding a pace of 14.4 km/h right now is a little unnerving.

The debate is a fun read. But my favourite comment came from someone who jumped into the debate on some on-line forum. He said it simply: "Who cares?"

John Bingham sums it up nicely:

“If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run.”

I agree.

This is more of a journey toward a fit way of living than breaking the land speed record. I watched a documentary on Usain Bolt on Netflix just recently. He is a marvel to watch. His record is safe with me!

There's just 105 days to Blue Nose Marathon weekend. I look forward to the next number of weeks when the Team Myles training formally begins. I can see the finish line and I look forward to crossing it. The goal is set and yes, I will be running, no matter what the speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment